Blue Willow
Blue Willow by Doris Gates tells
the story of a 11 year old girl named Janey whose family moves a lot. It was
set during the Great Depression. The title refers to the “willow plate,” which
is Janey’s prized possession. The willow plate has been in her family for
generations. It was passed from her grandmother to her mother to her, and after
her mother’s death it represents a piece of her mother. Janey loves the plate,
more than anything and it helps her feel less lonely.
In one key moment in the book,
Janey shows the willow plate to her new friend Lupe and is disappointed by
Lupe’s reaction. Lupe is very different from Janey. Her family is more stable
and Janey is envious that Lupe has siblings. Lupe always wants to be right and
thinks that the willow plate is not that special. The incident with the willow
plate made Janey and Lupe argue, but throughout the book their relationship
changes.
The girls become closer and when
Lupe asks about the willow plate, their
friendship has grown stronger. In the end they are so close that Janey moves In
with Lupe so she doesn't have to leave her friend.
I liked this book because it shows
a friendship evolving and shows two different classes during the Great
Depression. Janey’s family has to move around to find work while Lupe’s family
is well off and can stay put. The girls are still able to be friends, which
show that friendship endures.
I think this sounds like a great book! I like reading historical fiction that is actually interesting. You did a great job on telling me the plot and what you liked about it and why. But I wish you had given a spoiler alert, so I could be surprised when I read it. You wrote in a tone that seems to match the book, even though I haven't read it. Do you think that Lupe and Janey have a symbolic friendship?
ReplyDeleteYes i think so. i really think you should read this book because it isn't one of those boring historical fiction. Thank you!
DeleteThis was a great book review, it makes the book sound very interesting! I really understood the plotline and characters just from this little review. I might even want to read this book. I like what Lily asked though, do you think that their friendship is symbolic? I see that you said yes, so how so?
ReplyDeleteI really like the sophistication of your blog entry. You make me want to read this book. Your post is written in a way that doesn't give the whole story away, and it makes me curious about what happens in the book. Good job!!!!
ReplyDelete