Tuesday, December 3, 2013

READING RESPONSE


In the book, “You’re the Closest to Heaven that I’ll Ever Be” shows a girl and a new boy who are outcasts in school. There are a lot of issues in this book that includes suicide, and peer pressure.
            The main character Lily has a special box that she would never trade in for.  It is a box of razors that she cuts herself with.  She meets a boy where she sits down and cuts herself and brings him in for dinner. I feel like she wants to have friends. I feel like she is trying to fix her problem with cutting herself. Hayden, the boy she met is very similar to her. He is very lonely because he moved and he is depressed. On the first day of school, Hayden got bullied and Lily didn’t do anything about it. I think she doesn’t want to be all the way on the bottom of the school friendships. She wants to protect herself first.
            Hayden and Lily have a difficult friendship. They just met so they don’t know pretty much anything about each other. Hayden sang a song to her and it end with a kiss. Hayden also has always wanted to be in a band.  Lily felt bad of what she was doing ignoring him and all, that she said she was going to make that wish come true for him. 
            Lily’s parents are slightly mentioned in this book. Her parents don’t care about her. I think that’s one reason why Lily cuts herself. She doesn’t have parents to support her and guide her through tough times. I bet Lily sometimes wishes she could have a normal family. This is so sad to me. If I have a tough day I know my parents will always be there for me. But for Lily, she doesn’t have family. But I think having a friend like Hayden will make her feel better.
            These issues happen a lot. They are big ones and someone needs to help these innocent teens. They could end there life just like that. But, this age, teens don’t know what to think, what to say and when to take action.

1 comment:

  1. Very good! This book seems super interesting! I like all the details you used and how you put in the paragraph about the parents!

    ReplyDelete